Thursday, September 29, 2016

A Hug Is Nearly A Gun Spelled Backward

           To some, mourning the lives lost and praying for the families of the fallen is considered an act of patriotism. Patriotism may also be signified by waving flags or when one shows up to vote. Put differently, patriotism can be suggested as being closely connected to the nation in which one lives in or in which one feels strongly about. Unlike attachment to ones nation, personal relationships are close connections between people shaped by emotional bonds and interactions. Edward Morgan Forster, otherwise known as E.M. Forster, argues that personal relationships are more important than causes or patriotism and I would have to rightfully agree.

          Personal relationships is far more complex than what it is to be loyal to a nation. Relationships are not static and oftentimes is strengthened by mutual experiences. These emotional bonds that we develop with a person are continually changing and as we grow more towards learning about this person, a deeper affection and camaraderie will have also increased. Friendships and relationships start at the root of somewhere and whether that occurs later on in your life will not change a thing. What will matter is that a bond has been made and most often it is meant to last. There is something about giving affection to another person that cannot be replaced. Look at it this way, your government, your country, will not feel sorry for or with you. Instead, it is the people you surround yourself with and trust most dearly that are able to understand your needs. Coming from this approach, if I were to give my loyalty and trust away and had the option to give that to either my nation or best friend there is no doubt in my mind my best friend would prevail and outshine the nation. In truth, it is personal relationships that give approbation to people and it is this all internal and ever lasting affiliation with others that proves more important than a passion for ones nation.

           Some people may beg to differ that patriotism is more important than personal relationships. Do not get me wrong, I am definitely proud to be on American soil and to have been raised in such a wonderful country. Although, I have reckon that patriotism does not go to the extent in which personal relationships do. In other words, patriotism is nowhere near compared to personal relations in respects to what is more important to the soul and lifelong journey of a person. Sure, I can pledge the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, celebrate the Fourth of July, or even take Memorial Day off to commemorate those who have fallen. But these momentous events do not stand a chance to exceed an emotional bond someone has. In fact, these events are mainly seen as parties and days off. People certainly acknowledge our freedom and all the great our nation has to offer, but nobody, including myself, really holds patriotism true and dear to their hearts as would towards a loved one or best friend. There is something that speaks for itself when one argues that loyalty toward our country is of much more significance, and if anything remotely were to go against our nation this may exhibit a form of betrayal. In turn, this betrayal to America becomes an abandonment to our freedom and liberties. However, with that in mind, I believe being closely connected to those you love, those you care about, and those who care about you is of way more importance than a nation in which you live in.

          The comprehension between people is something you cannot simply get anywhere, let alone from your own country. To abandon your country over a friend or loved one goes to show that the support and commitment for others surmounts the fondness one could have toward their nation. One may think that being there for your country is absolutely the only thing to show pride and honor, but as previously stated personal relationships is far more important. As Forster says "If I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country."

10 comments:

  1. Great Essay Katrina!!!!
    It was very strait forward all the concepts of personal relations and patriotism were well defined, you had great ideas, good details, good job comparing, and the essay also caught my attention good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Thank you Samary! I am glad that I was able to define patriotism and personal relationships in a way you were able to understand (it was my goal to try and define the two throughout this essay).

      Delete
  2. ✔Hook
    ✔Thesis
    ✔Organization
    ✔Parting Shot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it Lilly!!! Thanks for checking to see if I fulfilled these requirements.

      Delete
  3. I like it. You used good vocabulary and upon reading your essay, it was both formal and you had a voice. I could tell you used your own voice which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks abi. I tried to be formal, but also include some diction. And what you say here makes me believe to have successfully accomplished that.

      Delete
  4. Hey Katryna! Awesome essay. You did a great job at proving your point with many facts and details. Also, your vocabulary is amazing and I liked how you defined patriotism and personal relations in your first paragraph. Your hook and thesis are great and you organized everything nicely. I don't even know what you could do to improve your essay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Daniel. Thank you for the awesome feedback. I was waiting for some criticism and this comment of yours was a great validation for me in terms of how this essay turned out and whether or not I needed to improve on something. It is funny because I have been wanting to rewrite this essay and was not sure what I should add or change. However, it seems as though I do not have to go back and this essay is fine as is. Again, I appreciate your response immensely and what you had to say about my essay.

      Delete
  5. Nice! You got all the requirements. The essay sounds Formal, Academic, Although that is how you talk sometimes. Overall, great essay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL... Thanks Cayla.... I think? I take it that you meant good when you say I speak formally if that makes any sense; therefore, you are able to hear my voice in this essay. Which I suppose is a great attribute of mine because I would be killing two birds with one stone as they say! Thanks again!!!

      Delete