Friday, September 23, 2016

Honk Honk!!! My First Driving Experience...

After school on Friday I was clearing large bags of clothes, intended to go to donations, from our car back into the house because we haven't had the opportunity to go to a donation center. As I was clearing the trunk, I thought of asking my parents to let me drive. And to my amazement, after I finished unloading the bags, my father needed my soon to be car to be moved out of the driveway and asked me if I wanted to try. It was so funny because I did not even need to ask. On my free time my dad wanted to show me how to drive, but I just never found the time to do so. In truth, I haven't even touched the booklet. I mean I can hardly even pick up any book to read let alone a drivers lesson booklet. So today was that day I finally got the opportunity to drive.

For some reason I was not scared one bit. Of course, however, I had many questions before beginning such as changing gears and knowing when I'll be able to take my foot off the brakes and not have the car move. My mom was in the passenger seat and my brother, on his bike, saw me from the garage and obviously would come down to watch me learn how to drive. I believe the only thing I was really concerned about was hitting the mailbox, my dad's truck, or the neighbors car. Before I even changed gears from park I, for a second, hesitated and told my mom I did not want to start by learning how to back up, but she encouraged me and said "lets just do this." And so we did.  My mother also told me it is just like riding a go kart, and I only laughed and told her "well I never drove a go kart in my life, but I have driven bumper cars!"

I slowly but surely got us down the driveway. The next part was parking alongside the curb so as I went from reverse to drive I pushed on the gas pedal a bit too much and jerked us, and all I saw was my mom's hand fly up as to catch herself from jolting forward and hitting the dashboard. As I was trying to park on the side of the street both my mom and I were looking forward to see where the curb was and I accidentally let my foot off the brakes and had to break really hard to the point I gave my mom a wipe lash. At this time, I started laughing my tail end off and started crying. After I recollected myself a bit my mom suggested I try and park in the grass area along the driveway. From where I was at I had to do almost a 360 in order to drive back up the driveway. I thought this would be easy as I see people do it many times, but I was mistaken. I tried to go around real fast and in one motion, but ended up almost running into the neighbors car. So I had to reverse and then drive up to the grass. Overall, I found this first "lesson" to be quite enjoyable and I definitely was proud because I felt I did a great job for my first time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment