Sunday, August 21, 2016

My Notion On "The Laughing Heart"

It was great to revisit this poem after having first seen it three years ago. I recall it was a few words, put onto a piece of paper, and was presented before me to analyze. And now, I look at this short and simple poem with a different mentality. It made me stop and reconsider the value of life. For this moment, I shall compare us to mice running in a maze. How, in life, we are put into a situation (the maze) - running (going throughout what seems to be endless lines and walls) and following the clues offered (the smell of cheese or the sound of a ring) until we reach an end. However, during that run you almost attain what you believe to have been the finish line, but you simply cannot figure it out - getting fatigued, frustrated, and wanting to give up hope all together.  In spite of that, we must always remember, there is a way out if we just search for the light. Even if that light is dim and faint, it is still out there and leaves us to never stop trying to look for it, especially when it is most needed. In addition, life is about recognizing our chances and taking advantage of them - never, though, to take life for granted. What makes this poem even better you ask me? I was called marvelous! Can you remember the last time, if any, you were called marvelous? Personally, I probably have never heard someone say that to me. Bukoski has no clue who I am, who you are, or who will be the next person reading his poem, but he does something incredible. He knows that if nothing else is taken from his poem, this one line should hit home for most: "You are MARVELOUS!" He makes us feel important, special, and that we are of value. He causes one to remember that we are divine, and I thank him for that - Thank You Bukoski for the lovely message!

No comments:

Post a Comment