Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I Finally Found The Book!

To be quite frank, besides having a class reading or two, it has been a good two years since I have had to find a book and read it. And even so, that book I read was chosen from a list and had to be incorporated into this paper bag, book report type thingy - not my cup of tea.

I remember being an avid reader back in my elementary and middle school days, reaching the millions (as in words when teachers had tracked the words you read through reading counts tests. Remember those?) I would knock out three to four books a week, but that number slowly dwindled to me hardly ever reaching or thinking about getting a book. Presently, it is all mainly textbooks and online sources that I read from.

Like who has the time to even read these days! Sometimes, I can barely even sit down to take a breather. Why!!! Why are we bringing back the books?

What I am trying to lead up to is that because I am having to read books again, it does bring back memories!

In fact, here was my experience from yesterday! Right when school was out, I made a beeline for the public library. I was eager to see what I would get my hands onto. Who knows when the last time I was in there searching for a book to read.... last time was probably in eighth grade! Typically, I would have a book in mind; however, for this moment I just knew that I wanted to go to the library and see what book I could find. Maybe that was a mistake! You would think it's the library and that you ought to find something......

I went through the books and reminisce having gone down the rows, as a child, thinking of what book to read next. There was just so many selections that could be made. Now, I found myself lost. I was upstairs going row to row, and absolutely NOTHING! Nothing caught my attention. So downstairs I went! Row to row I go again, running my fingers across the spine of the books - hoping that my hand would stop at that one particular book... NOPE, still nothing! So to the top floor I went again. I was either going to find it or go home empty handed. I wasn't going to give up hope, and after an hour or so (no lie) I found the one:
The Year That Follows by Scott Lasser

Geez, an hour to find this book. I hope it was worth all that searching. I am optimistic that this shall be a great beginning to my yearlong literature analysis' requirements that have yet to come my way!

Furthermore, going back to the question why? Why bring back the books? As much as I dread having to add another reading to my nightly homework (which is largely having to read textbooks), this will be extremely beneficial in other aspects of my life and education. Some of these benefits include, but is not limited to, 1)being capable of reading a wonderful piece of work and gaining some type of knowledge from it; 2)sharpening and refining my reading abilities; 3)enhancing reading comprehension and vocabulary skills; and most importantly, for this class and a helpful lifelong necessity, is 4)helping me become a better writer because everyone CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment