Thursday, October 6, 2016

Mentor Letter Draft I

Dear Marc Levy,

I hope you are having a splendid day in France. My name is Katryna and I am writing to you from California. I am a junior in high school and this year for my English class we have all asked a question we are dying to know answers to. My big question, as we call it, is as follows: what would happen if the world went timeless and nobody accounted for time anymore? As I was exploring further into my question topic, I just so happened to come across your stunning words pertaining to the value of time "If you want to know the value of one year, just ask a student who failed a course. If you want to know the value of one month, ask a mother who gave birth to a premature baby. If you want to know the value of one hour, ask the lovers waiting to meet. If you want to know the value of one minute, ask the person who just missed the bus. If you want to know the value of one second, ask the person who just escaped death in a car accident. And if you want to know the value of one-hundredth of a second, ask the athlete who won a silver medal in the Olympics." After reading this you made me realize that the answer(s) to my question simply lie around me. I am sure your expertise is not on time, but rather being a novelist. However, if I could reach out to a person to seek some possible answers for my question I would first want to go to you. I am very much curious and would love to know why you thought about time in such a manner, and put it into this perspective where everyone reading this would understand. How did you know that these certain time intervals of peoples' daily lives could be compared to the such events you mentioned so that the effect would hit home with most everyone? Genuinely, I found your words ever so helpful! I did not know that within a minute I would be another step into investigating my big question that I have, and you have helped me already believe it or not! Because you bring it up, I am able to ask myself what the value of a minute is as I am the one who tries to catch the bus every morning at 6:55 a.m. Again, even though you may not have mastery on the subject of time I would like to hear what inspired you to say such things about wanting to know about time, and any input you can give for that matter will be amazing to hear. I await to hear from you soon, and I hope you will be able to find some time to help me with my question here. Have an excellent day!

                                                                         Your friend from the United States,
                                                                         Katryna Vong

No comments:

Post a Comment