Monday, October 31, 2016

I'm Self-Reliant

Am I self-reliant? Well I finally finished reading Emerson's Self-Reliance hallelujah! No joke, but this is one of the harder readings I read in a long time. I normally don't have trouble analyzing documents/passages, but this Self-reliance was a tough one to grasp. With that being said, I have mixed feelings about what I just read. Sure, I wanna take his word for it and wake up witth this new mentality. But let's just face it that is most likely not going to happen. It is hard finding yourself in this world that expects you to be someone.  Emerson says we are all our own stars and that it is children and babies who are the true geniuses. And I totally get that because babies have yet to be swayed in their decision making and thought process. I feel as though Emerson is trying to say all is lost if everyone just keeps doing the same thing over and over again. As a result, someone has to start right now and persuade others to join them in an embarkment to being yourself and being true to who you really are deep down inside. Of course, Emerson having said this in a more sophisticated way! It is difficult because growing up somewhere down the line someone tells you to be yourself. Whether it be teacher or family or friends. However, look at them are they doing just that they told you to do? Probably not. So in a way I both agree to disagree with Emerson if that makes any sense what so ever. But if you asked me I would have to disagree more than agree just on the basis that not too much will change having read Emerson's urging message. Like I said I along with anyone else who has read this will not wake up as a new person who strives to only do what pleases them and what goes in their favor. It's called life guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment