Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Vignette In Time

Now let's go back in time! What does that even mean? Well I mean I shall take you on a journey way back yonders. Okay not that way back, but back in time when something really memorable happened. Something I will never forgot and something I will be forever grateful for. In a nutshell, my seventh grade science teacher had chosen me to be apply to this summer opportunity call Tech Trek or more formally known as The American Association of University Women (AAUW). So the application period was quite tough. Every day leading up to the deadline I was unsure if whether or not I should apply. I was a bit shy during this time in my life and so I did not know if I could make that leap. But it was one day I said to myself "Why not"? I knew it wouldn't hurt for trying and after a few days upon turning in my application I had received a call that invited me to the final process - an interview. I was quite nervous and I remember that I sat in the waiting room with my mom just talking my butt off trying to calm the nerves. When the lady called my mother and I inside the conference room there were other ladies there and my picture was taken and so it was, the interview began and once it did get started I was totally fine. I left that room feeling super proud and overjoyed that I just had my first interview. And not even a few weeks passed and I received another call telling me I was accepted. I was trying really hard not to scream on the phone and wanted to hand up as quick as I could. Because once I hung up I was screaming and jumping up and down filled with delight.

So that was all that happened to get into this program. I believe it was another five or six girls from Santa Maria that also got accepted as well. To the actual day itself I remember so clearly. I had everything packed and got little sleep the night before. My parents and I had to wake up quite early because we had to drive to Santa Barbara and get to UCSB by a certain time. When we got to the place we definitely couldn't get lost because there was this whole line of girls and their parents waiting to be checked in. I waited in this line for quite some time and when I got to the front I was asked questions about medications specifically for the boat ride. Okay well technically my parents were asked, but I could have replied myself. I got my folder that day which had papers inside and a whole list of the girls attending and where they come from. From this point I went to get my key for my room and went up to leave my suitcase and this is the time I got to meet my roommate Ali! I had gone to the room first, had some trouble unlocking the dorm room go figures, changed into my camp shirt, and met my dorm mother or caregiver for the week who ended up being in the program since it began and she attended Stanford University. Loved Gerry. In fact, she was retiring that year due to age and because she was one of the older ones there she was someone who I loved to hear stories from and her experiences. Anyways, so my roommate walks into the room with her parents and we are saying hi and then someone yells that we had to meet out into this quad area on the campus. This is where we met our teachers for the week and afterwards we went to this cool science presentation. And after this we went back to the dorms where everybody said goodbye to their parents. This would become the first time I left the house all by myself. Okay, this was only the first day. If I went on I would probably be writing a novel by now! To sum it all up, well this summer trip lasted a week and was paid all by the branch in Santa Maria that makes this possible for a few girls every year. And this week was full of firsts! I went on my first boat ride where I saw dolphins for the first time who were riding the waves along the boat, I slept in the dorms with a roommate, I ate delicious campus food that provided dessert even for breakfast... yumm, I met a whole lot of friends, and so much more. This truly was a once in a life time opportunity that I am glad I did not let pass me by.

 This is that folder we received before getting our keys to our dorm room.
 My dorm mom and junior counselors and hallway dorm mates.
 This was all of us that first day before we went to eat  lunch.

I remember 2013 like it was just yesterday! And just seeing these pictures again makes me smile and want to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment